Sunrise

Sunrise
Sunrise on Sunset Beach

Sunday, January 31, 2021

Becoming the Color of Winter

As the world tilts toward darkness 

and seasons of color wane, 

when you feel life ebbing, look for me: 


I am the glint on evergreens 

lit against the clear embrace 

of cold air cleansed on Arctic ice. 


I am the swath of bare terrain 

of ochre earth and umber mud 

softened in a misting rain. 


I’m the stubble field of muted tan 

suffused in amber overtones 

streaked with shades of fading sun. 


And I’m the warmth of dancing light 

above a bed of hissing embers 

and layers of burnt-orange ash. 


Deep in an endless winter night 

on the bitter edge of winter, 

I will be your summer dream 


of sea-green tinged with deep blue hues 

framed by sunbeams slicing through storms 

that rumble along the horizon. 



4 comments:

  1. Productive, creative ruminations from your walks. Bob, thank you so much. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Bob. I would love to capture your words in watercolor, but may have to settle for closing my eyes and imagining it.

    ReplyDelete