Sunrise

Sunrise
Sunrise on Sunset Beach

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Why I Run In Spring

Athens, Georgia
March 2011
Observations from a run on March 27, 2010
and reflections a year later.

Territorial birdsongs brightly pierce
the crisp predawn darkness through depths unseen
and from airy heights of those canopy worlds
there echo bold calls to awakening
as I set a light pace down below.

A brisk east wind blows cold against sweat,
through muscle and marrow and deeper yet
to cleanse my body, to lighten my soul,
to shed all distractions, to fall into flow
in silence of mind as I step out of time

and stride the high plains
under African sky

in searing noon heat
brash predator, I

to run the wild beast
through a dry thorny land

where the Garden is naught
but a hazy mirage

that hovers beyond
forty million more dawns

with all history’s tears
still yet to be shed

no burden of why
nor what lies ahead

eternity’s now
in my gathering will

in my pounding heart
and my gleaming skin

my deepening breath
the cooling wind

for immortal am I
till the moment I die

or run out my race
and reenter time

where asphalt yields to open fields
and far across a wakening park, white
halos of pear blossom hover against
silhouettes of pine emerging from dark,
pale spirits of spring in the soft morning light.

And so on a springtime Saturday run
my corporal spirit does sometimes soar
insubstantial past aching, to penetrate
the bubble of darkness encasing my core
in primitive peace, reconnected once more.

1 comment: