Sunrise

Sunrise
Sunrise on Sunset Beach

Saturday, October 31, 2015

To Cross the Northern Tier - The Appalachians East

Carol Myers bikes across America, May 31 - August 22, 2015
5. Port Ontario, New York to Orr’s Island, Maine

If heaven resembles the Swift House Inn
as haven for wayfaring bicycle souls,
then I’ll savor the dwindling stage

of my life. My final days are preordained,
set on where I’ll sleep each night, locked
in to how I will get there:

ride, rest, hydrate, eat,
pedal, shift, pedal, coast,
do it over, again

again

by lakes and mountains, pastures, forest,
field and farm to camps and inns
until at last the epic …
                                             ends.

Should we speak of scenery?

              How clouds nestle
                                  the creases
                      of mountains.

How dark
green tunnels
wind the interior
of Adirondack Park
to moody lakes
lined with fir,
brooding
in the evening
drizzle.

How the intimate vistas of old Vermont
hold a tangible sweetness filling the air
with August heat and fresh-mown hay.

How the steep
ascent of Kancamagus,
up the slopes to Beaver Lake
unveils another most wonderful view

of my trip. But what of my journey, plunging
through memory and rumination, my summer
of moving meditation? How I passed through

the dreamland of Iroquois Nation carrying
my incarnations inside, from the awkward
silence of pre-teen me to the confident cyclist

crossing the land. I too am multitudes —
daughter, sister, mother, wife; student,
teacher, mentor, friend. Emerging

from this transient world into another
next new life, I’m the nervous girl
on her first day of school. Have I played

at being a vagabond? Or woman on a hero’s
quest (with credit cards and cozy home,
a life to which I could always return)?

It was not by courage
but showing up, I cycled
a sixth of the earth.

The tide was up when I dipped a tire
into the cold of Casco Bay. Family
rejoined, my ride is done.

The world pours in.

First: The Mountain West
Previous: The Great Lakes
Carol's YouTube slide show: "Almost There The Northeast"




2 comments:

  1. Breathtaking, Bob. I especially was moved by "it was not by courage but showing up that I circled a sixth of the earth."

    ReplyDelete
  2. like
    http://imagtalks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete