Sunrise

Sunrise
Sunrise on Sunset Beach

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Journey to Embarkation

Daejeon, Korea
September 21, 2010

Midnight rains have stopped, for now
and mild mist softens the darkness
that hovers just beyond
     pale streetlight bathing
the final bus stop from Daejeon.

My life is a journey to this:
a white dog emerges from shadow
brisk about his business
     makes his rounds
slips silently on.

What mark I will make, has been made,
so with undue pride and regret
I shed my self to step emptied
     outside the light
a pilgrim at peace with the night.

Though dawn lies distant, somewhere
beyond my horizon, midmorning
shines forth brightly, I have faith. But
     here I am, happy
to watch for forms in the drifting of fog.

Brothers, we are bodies becoming
spirit, forever drifting 
mid-transit. We are always
     awaiting embarkation.
We have always already arrived.

Too soon the rains will return
and the lullaby tap of wipers
will sooth intermittent sleep
     through the last empty hours
of night in a far country,

And my bus will plow, steady
to causeway’s end
beyond the mudflats
     where sea and sky merge
gray and indistinct at Incheon.

No comments:

Post a Comment