Sunrise

Sunrise
Sunrise on Sunset Beach

Saturday, January 8, 2011

To Bring You Beauty

State Botanical Garden, Athens, Georgia
October 13, 2010; revised May 7, 2020

I would bring you beauty 
if I only knew how.
I would slip into spirit,

dissolve into autumn breeze
which carries the scent 
of crimson sage 

to clouds of yellow butterflies 
in the afternoon light 
of their lives. 

As the press of obligation fades, 
the busy pings, the urgent beeps, 
and rumble of distant machines – 

I hover with a bumblebee 
in the spell of a purple aster. 
I drift in scented air 

on a lilting riff of mockingbird-song, 
the swerve of a skipper, 
a toddler’s giggle 

through the elusive realm
where beauty infuses all being.
I would bring you a portion 

but, reaching, it slips
through re-embodied hands
and recedes like time itself,

its lingering afterglow 
reflected in clouds 
of evening gnats.

No comments:

Post a Comment